Whitehaven Academy recognises that the welfare and safeguarding of its students is a priority.
If there are concerns at any time then staff have a duty to inform the Designated Person for Safeguarding – Child Protection.
In this academy the designated people are:
Designated Safeguarding Officer
Mrs Jos Cole, SENCo
Mr Keep, Head of 6th Form
Mr Black, Behaviour and Attendance Lead
The Whitehaven Academy and Safeguarding
We are committed to the safety of our students and staff and ensure that our safeguarding procedures are adhered to at all time. As part of our commitment to Safeguarding:
- The academy provides an environment where students feel safe and secure, valued and respected, and confident to speak out in the belief they will be effectively listened to
- We have a Governing Body and Senior Leadership Team who are committed to the importance of safeguarding and promoting our students welfare
- The Whitehaven Academy have a whole staff team who are made aware of how young people will be protected and safeguarded within the academy and are fully aware of how to report any concerns over their protection, safeguarding and welfare
- The academy maintains a Single Central Record of DBS checks carried out on our staff, volunteers, Governors and external agencies
- At Whitehaven Academy all our staff complete Level 1 Safeguarding Training
- All members of the Senior and Extended Leadership Team have completed the Safer Recruitment Training Course
- Mr Blake Murray is our designated Child Protection Officer
- Mrs Judy Davidson is our nominated Governor with responsibility for Safeguarding
All visitors are requested to report to reception where they must sign in and collect a visitor’s badge. It is our academy policy that all visitors are collected and escorted at all times whilst on the academy site to ensure the safety of students.