Code of Conduct: Choice System
‘Choice Points’ will be issued for the following infringements:
For C1 infringements a verbal warning will be issued to students in the first instance so that individuals have the choice to rectify the behaviour. If the student does not rectify the behaviour choice after a warning a C1 will be issued.
- Chewing gum
- Possession or consumption of energy/sugary drinks (student to hand in and collect at the end of the day)
- Failing to wear uniform correctly and ignoring requests to do so from a member of staff
- Disrupting own and other students’ learning (involvement in low level disruption)
- Failing/refusal to complete work
- Writing graffiti on a workbook or school property
- Being late to the lesson without a satisfactory reason
- Failing to have the correct equipment for the lesson
- Refusal to follow instructions from staff
- Failing to respect other people’s property or personal space
ACTION | Recorded on Individual Profile, Name Written on Board
- Persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1
- Using inappropriate language in lesson time or around the site
ACTION | Recorded on Individual Profile, Seat Movement, Restorative Justice Session that Day with involved member of staff
- Persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1 and C2
- Leaving the classroom without permission
- Intentionally damaging another student’s work or assignment
- Walking away from an adult without permission (in defiance)
- Truancy (time to be made up in Study Session)
- Health and Safety breach
- Misuse of ICT network
- Mobile phone is on display, used or seen
ACTION | Recorded on Individual Profile, 45 Minute Study Session after school that evening, Student moved to a different room (if directed)
- Removal from lessons due to persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1, C2 and C3
- Failure to hand in a mobile phone when requested
- Bringing the Academy into disrepute
- Knowingly bringing a “trespasser” onto the premises
- Making racist, homophobic or other offensive comments
- Physical Altercation on the school premises or in the local vicinity
- Smoking on or around the Academy premises
- Bullying (classed as persistent intimidation over time)
- Offensive language directly used towards staff
- Gambling or selling items on the Academy premises
- Significant breach of the Health and Safety Policy
- Damaging school property (including theft). Please note that you will be charged for any damaged items
- Intentionally setting off the fire alarm system outside of a genuine emergency
- Viewing racially or sexually offensive material on the internet on school site or in the local vicinity
- Bringing offensive or dangerous weapons to school (including razor or sharpener blades)
- Serious actual or threatened violence or profound verbal abuse against another student or member of staff
- Sexual abuse or assault
- Possession, use or supply of any of the banned items listed below
The Choices List is not exhaustive therefore the Academy maintains the right to add matters to the categories
ACTION | Recorded on Individual Profile, SLT Intervention, Fixed Term Exclusion from the Academy, On Reintegration after the Fixed Term Exclusion students are required to spend the number of set number of excluded days in The Hub before entering the main Academy.
Please note that three Fixed Term Exclusions or serious breaches of the Behaviour Policy can lead to Permanent Exclusion from the Academy.
The following items are not permitted on the school site: stink‐bombs, lighters, cigarettes, laser pens, and electronic cigarettes, fireworks, illegal drugs, solvents, knives, blades, pointed items, alcohol, guns (including plastic toys or replicas). This list is not exhaustive and the school maintains the right to confiscate any item considered dangerous, offensive, and inappropriate or that may compromise safety.
Students found in possession of ‘banned’ items will have them confiscated and may be excluded from school. In relation to dangerous items, it is likely the Academy will involve the Police. The Academy has the authority to ‘dispose’ of banned items.
Please note that students who are late to the Academy will receive a lunchtime detention of 20 minutes. Persistent lateness to the Academy will escalate to an after school study session and could be further escalated to a fixed penalty notice. Study Sessions will be issued for C3 infringements, students will attend that evening and will sit in the study session for 45 minutes. Refusal to attend will mean that the original sanction is doubled for the next evening, refusal to attend again will constitute an internal exclusion for a day with an hour and a half after school. Further refusal will lead to a fixed term exclusion.
The Hub (formally the Inclusion Unit) is used as a re-admission centre for students who have returned from a fixed term exclusion. Students will spend the equivalent number of days they are excluded for in The Hub before integrating back into the main body of the Academy. It will also be used for restorative justice between members of the Academy community and for internal exclusions before students reintegrate back into the main body of the Academy.
The Hub is also a facility for any student who does not arrive to the Academy in correct uniform or footwear, students will need to stay in The Hub and study there until they have the correct attire on to go into the main body of the Academy.