Code of Conduct: Choice System
Sanctions will be issued for the following infringements:
- Chewing gum
- Possession or consumption of energy/sugary drinks
- Failing to wear uniform correctly and ignoring requests to do so from a member of staff
- Disrupting own and other students’ learning (involvement in low level disruption)
- Failing to use a mobile phone appropriately
- Failing/refusal to complete work
- Writing graffiti on a workbook or school property
- Being late to the lesson without a satisfactory reason
- Failing to have the correct equipment for the lesson.
- Refusal to follow instructions from staff
- Failing to respect other people’s property or personal space
For C1 infringements, a verbal warning will be issued to students in the first instance so that individuals have the choice to rectify the behaviour. If the student does not rectify their behaviour choice after a warning, a C1 will be issued.
|ACTION: Recorded on individual profile, name written on board|
- Persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1.
- Using inappropriate language in lesson time or around the site
|ACTION: Recorded on individual profile, seat movement and class teacher break time detention. Restorative practice to take place if needed|
- Persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1 and C2
- Leaving the classroom without permission.
- Intentionally damaging another student’s work or assignment.
- Walking away from an adult without permission (in defiance).
- Truancy (time to be made up in Study Session)
- Health and Safety breach
- Misuse of ICT network
|ACTION: Recorded on individual profile, 30 minute after school departmental/faculty detention, student moved to a different room (if directed)|
- Removal from lessons due to persistent and open defiance of instruction despite warnings and the issue of a C1 C2, and C3
- Gambling or selling items on the Academy premises
- Damaging school property (including theft). Please note that you will be charged for any damaged items.
- Viewing racially or sexually offensive material on the internet on school site or in the local vicinity.
|ACTION: Recorded on individual profile, SLT / Head of Year intervention and after school detention with Head of Year for 45 minutes.|
- Bringing the Academy into disrepute.
- Knowingly bringing a “trespasser” onto the premises
- Making racist, homophobic or other offensive comments.
- Physical Altercation on the school premises or in the local vicinity.
- Smoking on or around the Academy premises
- Bullying (classed as persistent intimidation over time)
- Offensive language directly used towards staff
- Significant breach of the Health and Safety Policy
- Intentionally setting off the fire alarm system outside of a genuine emergency.
- Bringing offensive or dangerous weapons to school (including razor or sharpener blades)
- Serious actual or threatened violence or profound verbal abuse against another student or member of staff.
- Sexual abuse or assault.
- Possession, use or supply of any of the banned items listed below
|ACTION: Recorded on individual profile, SLT detention for 1 hour or this behaviour may also result in a fixed term exclusion.|
This list is not exhaustive, therefore the Academy maintains the right to add items to the categories.
Please note that three fixed term exclusions or serious breaches of the behaviour policy can lead to a managed move to another school, alternative provision or, in serious cases, permanent exclusion from the Academy.
The following items are not permitted on the school site: stink-bombs, lighters, cigarettes, laser pens, electronic cigarettes, fireworks, illegal drugs, solvents, knives, blades, pointed items, alcohol and guns (including plastic toys or replicas). This list is not exhaustive and the school maintains the right to confiscate any item considered dangerous, offensive, inappropriate or that may compromise safety.
Students found in possession of ‘banned’ items will have them confiscated and may be excluded from school.
In relation to dangerous items, it is likely the Academy will involve the Police. The Academy has the authority to ‘dispose’ of banned items.
Please note that students who are late to the academy will receive a lunchtime detention of 20 minutes. Persistent lateness to the Academy will escalate to an after-school detention and could be further escalated to a fixed penalty notice. Detentions will be issued for C3 infringements; students will attend the detention for 30 minutes. Refusal to attend will mean this will be escalated to a Head of Year detention for 45 minutes. Refusal to attend again will constitute an internal exclusion for a day, with an hour after school detention with SLT. Further refusal will lead to a fixed term exclusion.
The ‘Buddy’ system
Should students make the incorrect behaviour choices, it may be necessary to remove them from the class to ensure the learning of other students is not affected. Students who have been removed from lesson, will be placed into the buddy system and attend lessons that are not with their peers. Failure to attend these buddy lessons, will result in students being sent to Internal Exclusion or placed on after school detention.
This is used as an alternative to a fixed term exclusion when all other appropriate sanctions have been exhausted. Students sit in cubicles to ensure isolation from their peers and other students.