Following my last post summarising our Post Ofsted Action Plan, I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you the fantastic progress within the school – here are some of our highlights since September:
- Best student attendance for 7 years and now above national average attendance rates.
- Lowest fixed term exclusions for 4 years – accompanied by significant improvement in student behaviour of which Ofsted positively commented on.
- Lowest staff absence in 5 years – as a consequence this has resulted in the lowest external supply teaching staff in 5 years.
- Delivered over 20 hours of parent and community forum meetings which have been extremely well attended. We will continue to hold these monthly parent forums.
- Our Year 9 students recently attended the ‘Make it in Manufacturing Enterprise Challenge’ which involved various challenges – you can read more about this here.
These successes could not have been achieved without the hard work from our students and staff so thank you to everyone. I recognise there is still lots to do but we’re really starting to see some great results and I’m looking forward to seeing this continue into the new year.
Student achievement is at the heart of all we do and all our work is to ensure students gain the best outcomes possible for them:
- Intervention is in place to enable homework completion, coursework catch-up and exam style skills and techniques.
- We are introducing clear structures and assessment systems which are designed to accurately predict student grades and work with those students through academic mentoring to help them to achieve their goals.
Please look out for my interview with the Whitehaven News this week in which I share my ambitious plans for the future of our school.